Saturday, September 26, 2009

the zebra incident

I finished reading The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein earlier this week. I’ve been delaying my review because I’m not sure how I feel about the book.

Sometimes, I love the book others I’m like really. I think it’s the ending. I’m not really sold on the happily ever after. It’s not believable. I guess a book from the point of view of a dog isn’t believable, but the story was really well told. I enjoyed the book and loved Enzo, the dog that wanted so bad to have thumbs!

I cheered for Enzo and I loved his humor, but the book for me was ruined by the last chapter.

“Very gently. Like there are eggshells on your pedals,” Denny always says, “and you don’t want to break them. That’s how you drive in the rain.”

Enzo tells a fascinating storyteller. I often found myself talking to my dog or reading to him. I feel like I see my dog a little more human. That’s really what I took away from the book. Although, I think my dog has over come his need for thumbs. He gets his way with out ever needing them.

I looked at the zebra, still perched on his throne of lifeless animal carcasses, and i growled at it very softly but ominously. And the demon knew. The demon knew not to

No comments:

Post a Comment