Thursday, September 17, 2009

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

(I’ve been lazy with my book reviews. Wondering if there’s any way to incorporate Social Living’s Virtual Bookshelf on Facebook to this blog.)

As said, I was afraid that this book was going to be another “Under the Tuscan Sun”, contrived and cliched. I can no longer stomach chick-lit, not that there’s anything wrong with that, I’ve just read too much of them. And I also very rarely read travel books. But thankfully, this turned out to be quite a brilliant page-turner from Elizabeth Gilbert. Insightful, fast-paced, and most importantly, honest. It felt like reading your girlfriend’s blog. I laughed with her, shed a tear with her, and could relate to many things she wrote in the book.

Part 1 & 3 (on Italy & Indonesia) were good but a little fluffy, while part 2 (on a spiritual journey at an Ashram in India) was very intense. It somehow struck a note in me, one that is still trembling. Something I’ve mused about many times, but never could quite put down in words.

So all up, 4 stars from me! I’ll probably buy a copy to re-read certain pages later on.

~bookworm~

No comments:

Post a Comment