Tuesday, September 1, 2009

On My Bookshelf

Well, technically they’re on the windowsill next to my bed… but regardless, this post is about the newest books in my personal library.  

First, the book, “Three Cups of Tea” by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin, is an exciting and almost unbelievable (but true) account of one man’s pledge to build a school in a small Baltistan village.  After failing to reach the summit of K2 in Pakistan, Greg Mortenson spent a heart breaking descent wracked with guilt over coming so close to the top, only to leave unfulfilled.  His dream was to leave his little sister’s necklace at the top of the mountain as a tribute to her life’s struggles and accomplishments.  On the way back to civilization, he spent some time in the village of Korphe, where he was met with unmatched hospitality from a community of generous, caring people living in the depths of poverty.  

I’m about half way in and I can’t wait to keep reading! It’s definitely a page-turner an I certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a fulfilling, incredible non-fiction story.

The other book I’ve started in entitled, “Equal: Women Reshape American Law,” by Fred Strebeigh.  I’m about 50 pages in and already the amount of research that’s been compiled into this book is outstanding.  I’m also happy to announce that the Women’s Law Association is scheduled to host Professor Strebeigh at our annual conference in March!  

Next up will be:

“To the Lighthouse” by Virginia Woolf, and “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

[Via http://liamulligan.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment