Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Random Act of Publicity 1

In honor of Random Acts of Publicity Week (thanks to Darcy Pattison’s Fiction Notes) I plan to write about some of my favorite recently read books. Now, I don’t have much experience writing book reviews. However, I have been reading books forever (since the womb, people), and as with wine and art, I know what I like.

Please read Mark Haddon’s The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. You could consider using an autistic narrator a gimmick, but it works. Oh, wow, does it work. The voice is amazing! The precise and emotionless first-person narration fit spot-on with the mathematical digressions. And the plot had more twists and turns than my son’s favorite roller coaster.

There will be more of these brief and random recommendations throughout the week. Let me know in the comment box what you thought of this book if you read it, or make suggestions of your own.

Happy Random Reading Week!

[Via http://vbtremper.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment