Sunday, September 13, 2009

Book Reviews ...

So I waited to review these books until I had finished both of them. I have to say that I enjoyed reading “This is How” it was a good read. Although I was troubled by the main characters choice of actions partway through the book then the storytelling became just a journal read, which I found to be really boring. You have to read the book to understand why I just said that. If I tell  you why, then I will spoil the whole book for you. Needless to say it wasn’t wasted money.

Here we have Wally Lamb. A most prolific writer and a good one at that. This story was a LONG read. It took me over a week to finish it overnight in bed. It tells the story of a couple (a teacher and a student nurse) who are married and living in Colorado during the Columbine tragedy.

The story narrates what happened to them on that fateful day and just how a series of really bad events can screw up a life in more ways than one. Wally tells a really good story. He weaves missives in between the main story line and connects the dots with pin point precision. I found in the read that he tells us a series of connected stories to enhance and enlighten the main story line.

It all wraps up into a really fine work of art. As I reached the end of the book, the story heads in a number of different directions and ends with a finality that brought tears to my eyes. I was saddened by the way that Wally ended the story.

But there was no way to really end the book in any other way – because of the story line and what was going on for most of the read. It had a lot of similar lines of “This is How” it was a fluke that I picked up BOTH these books at the same time, because they are so similar in story line.

There in the book was love, loss, death and destruction, and recovery and grace. Wally wrapped up all the major emotions into a really good read. I would recommend this book to you with high points all around.

READ THE BOOKS – I Highly recommend them.

[Via http://jeremiahandrews.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment