Friday, September 11, 2009

Julie and Julia Book Review

Although, I’ve read many different genres, I’ll be the first to admit that I tend to shy away from memoirs.  I have found a few that I enjoy, but I’ve read an equal amount, if not more, that I didn’t really care for much at all.  Ironically,some of those least favorites were touted by critics as “one of the best memoirs ever”.  Or some similar hype.

It wasn’t until I saw the previews for the movie Julie and Julia, that I knew I had to read the book.  Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously by Julie Powell will go down as one of my favorite memoirs and I’d definitely recommend it for those looking for some funny, light-hearted reading.  Although, her writing style is somewhat more sophisticated than my usual reads (and I willingly admit to finally giving up and “skipping over” the French food words), I still thoroughly enjoyed this book.

I was never really even a fan of the late Julia Child (may she rest in peace).  But I didn’t have to be to enjoy this book.

It’s a book for those who of us enjoy cooking, or wish they did.  Anyone who’s laughed at their own culinary disasters or managed to make a 7-course dinner party look effortless.  For those who have ever been stuck in a dead end job and dreamt there could be something more to life…or for those who are still stuck and still dreaming.

Definitely a must read.  3.5 stars

[Via http://christinerice.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment