Friday, February 26, 2010

Book haunt

If the world lacked bookstores, I have every reason to think that this human race will be deprived of imagination, character and clarity.

Through books, we are drawn to its characters, plots, suspense, thriller and conclusion which seals our anticipation. Add pre-loved bookstores and there’s more excitement at hand to any book lovers and eager book hunter like me.

I’ve always been a regular at  pre-loved bookstores. Salvos, Vinnies, garage sales, small Ops shops operated by churches and the spread of quaint pre-loved bookstores has taken my fancy. I recently came across Owl, a well stocked pre-loved bookstore at Archer St, along O’Connell St in North Adelaide, and instantly fell in love. With an inviting bohemian reading room, a chaise lounge and an antique fireplace, it provides a calm and reflective background as you hover over rows and rows of books.

I came across some bargains and picked up three books for under $4, plus another at $8. A steal indeed!

The Diary of a Married Call Girl by Tracy Quan follows a stream of journal entries of a married woman, Nancy, who’s living it big but falls into the darker side of frolic and sharing her body with other men, other than her rightful spouse. Am looking forward to reading Nancy’s vivid and humorous notes to her diary.

Love takes you Home by Julie Capaldo, embraces 13 delicious meals and recipes retold in wonderful snippets of Grace Sabato pilgrimage in soughting  life’s beauty and experiences which starts from the kitchen. This one should offer food to my soul, and no doubt I shall devour this with a big bite!

I got The String by Morris Lurie as I thought it would be a good read for my young sons when they can appreciate a short novel in a few years time. Morris wax lyrical of fatherhood, friendship, grief and love via eleven linked stories.

My favourite read so far and I haven’t finished this read is Preethi Nair’s One Hundred Shades of White. Satchin and Maya, siblings, lives are changed dramatically when they move from India to London, only to discover later that their father’s dad has left them penniless in an alien culture. As they struggle to keep it together, the children are kept in the dark of their father’s other double life. He is in fact alive, and with another family of his own. I will share my review at my soonest and cannot wait to share this riveting plot to all.

Enjoy some photos of my finds from Owl bookstore and I managed to snap some pixs from Owl too.

Till then, I hope you untap some hidden bookstores wherever you may be. Happy reading! xx

[Via http://mumbees.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment