Monday, January 18, 2010

YA Fiction: Sci-Fi/Fantasy

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

When I first discovered the wonder that is Terry Pratchett, I asked for recommendations of where to start (or continue) since his oeuvre is rather intimidating. Claire immediately responded to suggest this book and it only took me…two years to get to it?! Sorry, Claire, I totally meant to read this sooner.

Claire was right, this one was very good. I would say it was much different than the handful (or less than that) of Terry Pratchett books I’ve read so far – very much more, I don’t know, philosophical than the others? Less of a straightforward plot, at the very least.

The Wee Free Men follows Tiffany and her progress toward becoming a witch. Except there’s so much more to it – she learns about her grandmother and herself and the world (or worlds) around her. I’m not doing it justice, but take Claire’s advice and read it.

Claire, it looks like there’s at least one (and maybe two?) sequel to this book – are they just as good? Should I stick with Tiffany?

My rating: B+

And I’m sorry, but, being of the generation that I am, the name Tiffany will always be associated with this:

[Via http://myblankpage.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment