Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Review of “Ice Run” by Steve Hamilton

   

I heard Steve Hamilton give an interesting talk at a writer’s conference and decided to try one of his books. The one I wound up with was Ice Run. It is the follow-up to the Gumshoe-Award-winning Blood in the Sky. It also features the same protagonist, Alex McKnight.

McKnight is trying to live a quiet life after his first adventure. However, the quiet is shattered when a crazy old man tells McKnight and his girlfriend Natalie Reynaud who is a member of the Ontario Provincial Police that he knows a secret from their past. Shortly thereafter, the man is found dead.

 Thus begins an intriguing mystery set in Michigan’s upper peninsula. Hamilton creates a very interesting picture of winter life there. Snowfall is married in feet rather than inches. It also gives the book an unusual setting. The mystery itself also has an interesting setting. It ties into the Prohibition-era when illegal alcohol was smuggled into the United States by crossing the frozen lakes and rivers between Canada and Michigan.

The story is a solid, interesting mystery, though I didn’t find myself compelled to read constantly so I could finish the story and find out how it ended. Still, I did enjoy the journey to someplace I have never been before.

[Via http://jimsbookblog.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment