Thursday, August 27, 2009

charmed thirds by Megan Mccafferty

I haven’t been updating much lately because the of the new school semester starting and everything. My workload this fall isn’t too crazy, but I’m trying to see if I can add a journalism class to my schedule. I hope it works. Wish me luck!

Anyway, I finished the third installment of the Jessica Darling series by Megan Mccafferty last week. Like the first two books in the series, Charmed Thirds is written in first person, in the form of protagonist Jessica Darling’s diary.

In Charmed Thirds, we reconnect with Jessica Darling, now a psychology major in Columbia University. The book spans her three years in college, although the writing is dated and focused on summer/winter breaks, and generally skips through her academic experience at Columbia. Her relationship with Marcus Flutie remains an ever-present theme and occurrence throughout the book, but certain circumstances will allow her to develop and create other romantic relationships with guys she will meet during her three years at Columbia. In this installment, we also see Jessica interacting less with her best friend Hope and more with other people.

Although this was an entertaining and perhaps necessary installment in the Jessica Darling series, I had a few qualms about the manner in which it was written. The timing of the passages in summer/winter months almost disregards her academic experience in Columbia, which was one of the things that i wanted to learn more about. The reader only finds out that she does get good grades in College and that she’s practically in financial ruin because of the cost of her education, but that’s about it.

I do love the fact that she was able to create new relationships in Columbia. The trials and tribulations of her relationship with Marcus were definitely difficult, but I found the opportunities to develop relationships with other people as a good chance to grow more as a person. In fact, I’m glad that the author gives them a chance to be apart. It gives Jessica the chance to develop more as an individual.

Would I recommend this book? Yes. It’s a good read, and we finally get to see Jessica in a setting that isn’t her hometown. She also begins meeting a more diverse crowd, different from the people that she interacted with in Pineville. It’s a more mature book, in my opinion, and that’s partly because her high school years are over and she’s learning more about what she does and doesn’t know about life and her self. I was able to relate to hear a bit more in her book, because some of the strains that she endures in relation to college are things that I can identify with.

Rating: 3/5 although it didn’t challenge, it was entertaining, funny, and realistic.

[Via http://thebookfiend.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment