Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Ohenro

In my continuing series of reviews of travelogues set in Japan, the next book is Japanese Pilgrimage by Oliver Statler. The book is about the circular pilgrimage to eight eight temples on the island of Shikoku: Ohenro. Legend has it that the pilgrimage was founded by ancient Japan’s own superhero, Kobo Daishi. It is still popular today, though more and more pilgrims complete the journey by automobile these days.

Oliver Statler walked it. He relates interesting tidbits from his trip, as well as from his previous trips along the same route, along with some history and folklore to give it depth. The text held my interest; and I enjoyed the tale from beginning to end. Along the way, Statler paints engrossing images of the kinds of figures who made Japanese folk Buddhism, which is epitomized by Ohenro. He also brings up bits from diaries left by pilgrims in bygone ages.

I have to admit that I had an interest in the topic, which may have contributed to my enjoyment of this book. I used to live on Shikoku, have visited several of the pilgrimage sites, and had contemplated going on the same pilgrimage even before that. Mrs. Wang did it, years before I met her. It remains a goal of mine to do so someday.

Anyway, I thought it was a good read. It is a good story about a journey, and gives an interesting perspective on Japanese folk religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment