Wednesday, November 18, 2009

No Experts Needed, Really!

Losing a job is one of life’s most stressful experiences and, can even be devastating too. With the economy in meltdown, and more and more companies getting leaner and meaner, most of the employees end up being laid off.

I was a victim of a workforce reduction about 7 months ago.

Though I’ve not much responsibility (as in taking care of the family et all), I realized I’ve been going through a range of emotions: emotions that can spur me to action, send me seething into a rage, or make me wanting to crawl and hide in my own cocoon, moments of shame, betrayal, and as a result almost stopped socializing with my friends. I’ve gone through all. I know my termination was through no fault of my own, and I know it’s not a career killer, but it definitely is depressing and hard to overcome the emotions! To divert my mind, Mom even took me for a 2 week vacation to India.

As months passed, I started devoting most of my time on blogging and twittering, which led me to meet a bunch of wonderful people, aka my blog-and-twitter buddies, who inspired me so much in one way or the other. Nothing would have been the same without you all!  Gradually, I started to think of my job loss as an opportunity to re-frame my thinking, and to pause and reflect on how happy I was with my career. Before I knew, it was a relief and a much-needed break from a much-hated job, and hence ended up learning new technologies and, now I’m a freelancer.  Working from the comforts of my home plus I’m my own boss too! So much freedom and I’m enjoying it. Yaaaaay!!

Now the purpose behind this post is to introduce you all to Louise Lewis and her book “No Experts Needed: The Meaning of Life According to You!”.

No Experts Needed by Louise Lewis

Most of us have been through terrifying times in our lives, that often lead us to lose hope, and Louise had been there too. She had lost her job of eleven years. There were all the emotional and financial concerns to get through.

One day as she sat relaxing at home watching TV, one particular episode of a program caught her attention. It was the episode titled “What Does the World Think of Us?” on The Oprah Show!  (Love the show BTW! )

Inspired from the show, she then decided to embrace life and find out just what life means. Through many interviews with people and getting their definitions of life, a book was born.

Hadn’t she passed by my blog and dropped in a comment, I wouldn’t have known her.

I started reading her masterpiece and I must say that it’s absolutely amazing! It’s more than just a book in dealing with job loss. A book full of positive thoughts and by reading it you could almost feel her energy through her words!

The book doesn’t bring out the advice of the experts, but rather from everyday people who share what they believe, and how they face the bumps along the road of life.

If you just need a break from the doom and gloom, I did recommend you read the book and pass it on to your family and friends or to someone who is struggling in life.

That's Louise!

The beautiful author will be sending the link to a FREE cover-to-cover download of her book to my lovely readers! All you got to do is to sign up here.

Ain’t that cool?

Thanks a bunch, Louise!

P.S.: She recently celebrated her birthday. So here’s me wishing Lou once again a happy belated birthday!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment