Friday, October 16, 2009

Pick and Choose

I want your opinion on something that is controversial in the churches of Christ so please feel free to comment on it.  A book that has probed my thoughts more than any other book has in a long time is Scot McKnight’s Blue Parakeet.  It is a book designed to help readers rethink how they should read the Bible.  Really it is a book on hermeneutics.  I will not get into much of the discussion but here is a few select quotes:

Furthermore, it is my belief that we-the church-have always read the Bible in a picking-and-choosing way.  Somehow, someway we have formed patterns of discernment that guide us.  (McKnight, Blue Parakeet, 122)

When we see how we actually live, we have two choices: either become radical biblical literalists and apply everything (and I mean everything), or to admit that we are “pickers and choosers.”  (123)

So here is my question: “Can we avoid the fact that we pick and choose in a certain manner?”  “Is it enevitable?”  Can we really believe the old adage, “The Bible says it, I believe it, that settles it” in all circumstances?  I am open to your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment