Friday, October 23, 2009

Book: The Unlikely Disciple

The Unlikely Disicple is written by Kevin Roose.  What’s it about?

Roose is a student at Brown University, who, when he was 19 left Brown University to do a journalistic report to live at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA.  

Surprisingly, I enjoyed the book. It was well written and slightly reminds me of the college experience that I had. I mean, a highly intensive Spiritual atmosphere.  It was a great experience with tough classes.

Nonetheless, the book doesn’t come without some discussion. I found a blog post of an actual Liberty student here who calls some of the stuff into question…read it for yourself.  I could see his objections.

One thing for me was that the book made me realize how non-Christians view the things of Christians…essentially as foolishness in a lot of ways. 

Overall, I think it was a good book. It was neat to see how he viewed the way that Christians acted (which I think was presented pretty factually in most senses). It will help you to understand exactly how non-Christian people view you in most situations. Understanding their point of view goes a LONG way. 

*Spoiler Alert*

Roose never becomes a Christian. Yet, there is something to be said about the authenticity that he felt at Liberty. Most of what I have seen is that he went back to Liberty and is the same Roose. This doesn’t surprise me, as one must remember that if someone doesn’t actually accept Christ into his or her life, then he or she cannot be expected to live in such a way. My biggest irritation is that some of the supposed comments he has made since returning to Brown have been done in a sarcastic and degrading tone towards evangelical Christians.

Nonetheless, I do recommend the book.  It was good.  It will open your mind.  It will challenge you.

Do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment