Thursday, July 30, 2009

I like it contemporary.

So some of you out there know that I love reading romance. My favorites tend to be contemporary romance (like romantic comedies…Notting Hill, French Kiss, 10 Things I Hate About You, The Ugly Truth.. if you need movie examples). For the past few years, though, contemporary romance has gone on the back burner. Paranormal romance took over the scene and now historical/regency romance is making a huge comeback. And there’s a type of contemporary that’s picking up as well… The Adirondack kind (you know what I mean). Debbie Macomber, Robyn Carr. Contemporaries about small close knit groups or set in a small town. Not quite the romantic comedy that I long for (still good…don’t get me wrong).

Because contemporary romance is heading in that direction and there still isn’t much of it coming out new lately, I’ve turned to contemporary YA to get my fill. And oh, it does its job well. Here are two that I just read for my fix of contemporary teen romance:

The ABCs of Kissing Boys

(Tina Ferraro)

Very cute story about first love, first kisses, and real friendship. Parker is a junior who didn’t make it to the varsity soccer team. She devises a plan to make it back on the team, but needs the help of her next-door-neighbor, Tristan, a 15 y/o, 6′ tall, muscular freshman (with all the moves of someone more experienced).

I enjoyed this book about teen betrayal, true friendship, and overcoming the odds. Another great addition to the contemporary YAs out there.

The Boyfriend List

(E. Lockhart)

If you happened upon a boyfriend list that had 15 boys on it and the list was written by a 15 year old girl (and you were in high school) you might think she was a slut too. Because at that age, judging other people is easy.

But Ruby Oliver is just misunderstood. The 15 boys…not all of them actually were boyfriends. In fact, she had barely said two words to some of the boys on her list. It was just an assignment to help her figure out why she was having panic attacks, but it ended up being part of the problem.

This book makes you start wondering what your boyfriend list would look like. (Mine would probably have footnotes. Love the footnotes.) In fact, I might go type up a boyfriend list right now. It’d be fun. Right?

THE BOYFRIEND LIST was a fun ride following Ruby Oliver’s boyfriend history and transition from sort-of popular to complete leper

No comments:

Post a Comment