Tuesday, July 28, 2009

BookKids Interview with Debut Novelist Isabel Kaplan!

When I first saw the cover of Hancock Park, I knew I had to read it.  When I heard Isabel Kaplan was an 18-year-old novelist, I was excited to see what this young voice had to offer.  When I read the first page, I was hooked.

Taking place at LA’s elitest high school, Hancock Park is an enlightening take on rich girl drama, presenting a human side to every character the reader encounters.  Becky Miller, the protagonist, confronts the issues of queen bees, friendships, boyfriends, and scandals, all while maintaining a 4.0 and  struggling to keep her mental health in check.

I asked Isabel to talk to us about her debut novel, and this is what she has to say:

BookPeople: Hancock Park is a refreshingly real novel about life for upper class teens in L.A.  Where did the inspiration for this story come from?

Isabel Kaplan: The inspiration for Hancock Park came from my own childhood and my experiences growing up in Los Angeles as well as the experiences of those around me. Los Angeles is such a unique (and sometimes crazy) city, and I wanted to write a story about growing up in that world.

BP: The media is currently saturated with Gossip Girl and its many copycats.  Hancock Park draws an easy comparison.  But I sense a real soul to your book that other stories in this setting lack.  How did Gossip Girl et al. influence - positively or negatively – your writing?

IK: Gossip Girl explores the lives of privileged kids growing up in New York, and Hancock Park is about the LA version of that, so there is certainly a comparison there. I think the major difference between Hancock Park and Gossip Girl is that, in Hancock Park, my goal was to explore that privileged Los Angeles world through the eyes of a girl who doesn’t feel quite at home in it and is struggling to find her place and also understand the value systems at play in Los Angeles. That said, the Gossip Girl books do include clever and funny social commentary, and I hope Hancock Park does, as well!

BP: Being fresh out of high school yourself, how do you think teens will relate to the story of Hancock Park and the characters you’ve created?

IK: I wrote Hancock Park while I was in high school, and I think that did help me in developing an authentic narrative voice. Being a teenager is really tough, no matter where you grow up, and although some aspects of Becky’s life and the lives of the other characters are L.A.-specific, there are many parts of the story that I think all teens can relate to—whether it be divorced parents, mean ex-boyfriends, or how to look “classy slutty” for a Halloween party.

BP: For such a young writer – any writer, really  – you have an extremely strong, developed voice.  When was Isabel-the-Writer first born?

IK: Thank you! I’m still working on developing my voice and growing as a writer. I remember writing my first short stories when I was in the second grade. For Hanukkah, when I was seven, my absolute favorite gift was a ballpoint pen that was painted gold, which tells you something! I have always loved to write.

BP: The teenage experience is different for everyone.  At the same time, I think we all struggle through it.  Without giving too much away, what do you think of the choices that Becky makes when it comes to friendship?

IK: I agree! Although everyone’s adolescent experiences are different, I think most people would agree that it’s a struggle, and one of the things that makes being a teenager so difficult is the attempt to find a place where you “fit” in your social world. This is something that Becky tries to come to terms with, and her choices when it comes to friendship definitely reflect this struggle.

BP: Every writer channels themselves and their lives into their work.  Many of your characters seem like people we all know from high school, in some form or another.  Did you base Becky’s supporting cast on anyone in particular?  What about Becky herself?

IK: When I was in the process of writing Hancock Park, I was surprised by the number of people who would come up to me and ask, “Am I in it? Are you putting me in the book?” Or, even, “Can I be the bitch in the book?” – I was shocked! Because the book is named after the neighborhood I grew up in, and because I was sixteen and writing a novel about a sixteen-year-old in Los Angeles, it is of course easy to draw a comparison and say that the book is autobiographical. But no, the characters in Hancock Park are not based on real people from my life (sorry, guys!).

BP: The L.A. of Hancock Park feels very different from the L.A. we see on MTV.  For those of us who haven’t been to your neck of the woods, how does the backdrop for your book compare to real life in Los Angeles?

IK: The Los Angeles of my book is pretty true-to-life, or, true to my experiences of it, at least. In real life, Hancock Park is a neighborhood very similar to the one described in my novel, as are the various places and situations Becky travels through during the course of the book.

BP: Psychotherapy and antidepressants are hot topics right now, and they play a major part in Hancock Park. While I’m a big believer in psychiatry, I think you – and Becky – have really highlighted the dangers of depending on the wrong shrink.  Do you have any words of wisdom for teens struggling to take care of their mental health?

IK: I think psychiatry can be a very useful and important tool, and I would recommend seeking help to any teen who is really struggling with his/her mental health. That said, it’s really important to work with a psychiatrist or counselor who is responsible and with whom you have a trusting relationship—that’s certainly something Becky struggles with throughout the book!

BP: I loved the Model United Nations scenes in your book.  MUN really keeps Becky grounded and makes her a real person.  To write as in-depth as you did about MUN, you must have some experience.  Do you have any tips for students who want to get involved with MUN?

IK: I was very involved with international activism in high school. I did MUN for about a year, and I enjoyed it, although I wasn’t as involved in my school’s chapter as Becky is. There are tons of MUN conferences all over the country and world each year. If you’re interested in getting involved and there’s not a Model United Nations club at your school already, then you can start one! The United Nations website has info about how to go about doing that.

What was particularly important to me about the MUN club that Becky runs is the way she strives to help the communities and countries that her team is researching and representing (which is not an aspect of the official Model United Nations program.) There’s a lot of criticism in the world about the efficacy of the United Nations system, some of which I do think is warranted. Model United Nations is a great way to learn a lot about international affairs and diplomacy, but I also think it’s really important to get involved with activism and grassroots efforts.

BP:While I realize you must be pretty busy with school at this point, you must have plans for your next novel.  Can you tell us what you’re working on?

IK: My next novel is indeed in the works! As of now, it’s still in beginning stages, and when I’m at this stage, I keep everything pretty top secret (partly because I’m still figuring it all out), but I will keep you posted!

BP: Becky  – and her many transformations – was so fun to read about!  Will we be seeing any more of her in the future?

IK: I’m so glad you enjoyed reading about Becky! As of now, I don’t have plans for another book about Becky…although who knows what the future has in store!

Thanks so much to Isabel Kaplan for taking the time to talk to The BookKids Blog!  We hope you’ll join us in wishing her masses of success with her debut novel, Hancock Park!

No comments:

Post a Comment