Thursday, March 26, 2009

A 7th New Review by DavidB

Memoirs of Pontius Pilate by James Mills

California Senator Mills has written a brilliant piece of fiction!  This is no glib statement.  His penchant for historical scrutiny, attention to detail & accuracy combined to make a seamless presentation, so lifelike as to defy the imagination.  One truly feels they are reading this man’s actual reflections on the pivotal event of his life - the judgment & execution of Jesus Christ. I have heartily recommended books before, yet I truly adjure every person to consider reading this mini-tome!! It is quickly paced and absorbing, yet finely-tuned & discerning.  Whether you are God-fearing, or a spiritual skeptic, you will not be able to come away from this book unaffected. Under the premise that this historical character wanted to give a dispassionate account of a man that millions now worship, the author reveals extraordinary facts about the Jewish culture at the time, Rome’s military & political will, the power structures within Judaism, and how they all interacted. This book challenged my faith!  I am a born-again believer in Christ, and I believe that my God brought this book into my life to help me better understand what I truly believe.  To that end, I am happy to say that the book left my beliefs validated - through faith - yet they were sorely tested in the process.  There was also precious little clue as to the author’s personal bent on the matter until the very last paragraph of the very last page. Even then, he left it up to the reader to decide. This is why I think everyone should read it, no matter their current outlook.  As an analytical fellow, I feel you will be challenged.  You may feel tested as I did, affirmed, and even persuaded to change your outlook.  In any case, I believe you will come away more informed than you might imagine





No comments:

Post a Comment