Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Same Kind of Different As Me

Although I can’t remember who, there was someone who had mentioned this book to me a while back.  I recently picked it up as a diversion from some of the other types of books I’m currently reading.  Great decision!

The book is a sort of memoir written from the first person perspective of two men.  Broken up into short chapters recounting the journey of their lives and eventual friendship, I was quickly drawn into their individual stories.  I really enjoyed the writing style as it seemed to genuinely reflect the stark differences between these two guys.  Making it all the more powerful for me was the fact that this is a work of non-fiction.

The essence of the story is one of friendship, faith and belief in the value of people.  You couldn’t have selected more unlikely characters to find their way into each others lives.  A successful white businessman and a homeless, uneducated black man from the plantations of the South and an era that seems as if it should have been at least 100 years ago.  Destiny reached into their worlds and changed them both forever.

There were several moments in the book that moved me deeply.  Some of the profound observations grabbed me and may never release my soul from the truth within them.  Reading their story has reminded me of how comfortable I’ve chosen to live and challenged me to look again at what I am and am not doing to love everyone in my path.

An easy read and an easy recommendation.  Give this book a go…you won’t be disappointed.

Publisher’s Info:

A dangerous, homeless drifter who grew up picking cotton in virtual slavery.

An upscale art dealer accustomed to the world of Armani and Chanel.

A gutsy woman with a stubborn dream.

A story so incredible no novelist would dare dream it.

It begins outside a burning plantation hut in Louisiana . . . and an East Texas honky-tonk . . . and, without a doubt, in the heart of God. It unfolds in a Hollywood hacienda . . . an upscale New York gallery . . . a downtown dumpster . . . a Texas ranch.

Gritty with pain and betrayal and brutality, this true story also shines with an unexpected, life-changing love.

[Via http://called2worship.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment